Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Mama Quilt Installment #3 (kind of)

(I know, I know - a blog about my cat's poop? Things really have sunk to a new low. I'll try and work on it....)

So in the mean time, this isn't exactly a Mama Quilt posting, but it is a quilt for a mama I know, so I figured it still warrents its very own post. My very dear college friend Cory has been having babies at a rate much faster than I can keep up with (in terms of quilts mostly...although in terms of babies too, now that I think about it), so even though she's due with baby #4 this September, the following quilt is actually for Baby #3 (who, believe it or not, has a name: Ally Capri.)

I intended to make this quilt way back when Ally was still in utero, but alas, that was when I had a full-time job, a social life, and precious little free time (quite unlike now). So even though Ally is already over a year old, I'm just now delivering the quilt - oh well. Life happens, right?

In any case, the inspiration for this quilt was not derived from the mama or my relationship with her (thus NOT a mama quilt), but rather from a snazzy color scheme Cory had mentioned she really liked. It never would have occured to me to put hot pink with a kind of sage-y green, but it so intruiged me I thought: Why not? So I gave it a shot and I think the final product is actually quite eye-catching.


The pattern for the quilt is called a Log Cabin and I've arranged the blocks so that the final result yields diagonal stripes. Given the contrast in colors, it seemed apropos. (Each block actually consists of half pink logs and half green logs. Then, depending on how you arrange the blocks, you get one of SEVERAL different designs. It's an old, old pattern, but a great one in my opinion.) I didn't think to take a picture of the back, but it's completely hot pink and made out of a snuggly flannel.

So while perhaps my color and design choices weren't quite as meaningful this time around - I really had a lot of fun making this one. It was funky and bold and it came together really fast. I'm sure it's no less appreciated and I hope it gets well used in it's new home. (And Cory, thanks for the inspiration!!)

1 comment:

Cory Ferens said...

must say, we love it, all three kids plus brandon and i. what a beautiful surprise to open up in the mail on a rainy day last week! thanks AMC, it wasn't late, perfectly on it's own time! can't wait to see you again, whenever that is...