Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Word of the Day

I stumbled across this new (to me) word, so I thought I'd share:

Ineffable: incapable of being expressed or described in words; inexpressible: ineffable joy.

At first blush I thought, what a totally cool new word. I'm going to keep that one in my back pocket for future reference. But now, after a bit of thought, I have realized this word is irony incarnate; it's a word used to describe the undescribable.

Isn't that great? Try and use it in a sentence today.

5 comments:

Brian Bowker said...

I want to have a shirt that says, "Ineffable is irony incarnate."

And when people ask what it means I'll say, "It's ineffable."

Anne Marie said...

Yes!! It's a billion dollar idea - I love it!!

The Terps said...

Love the word. I'm curious, who used it first? You or Hooper. He sent it in an e-mail and you posted it on your blog.

D

Anne Marie said...

I did, silly - he's responding to the "try and use it in a sentence today" challenge, savvy?

The Terps said...

Good to know that the egg came first.