Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Boston

I'm sad to report I wasn't feeling a whole lot better that next morning in Boston. I didn't feel like death (as I had the previous day), but I wasn't back to normal either*. However, this was my one and only chance to see Boston, so I was going to take it.

Fortunately my host here in Boston did a much better job showing me the city than his counterpart in NY. He was kind enough to pick me up out in the boon docks (that's what I get for not mapping the hostel I booked, I guess). Normally I would be a little disappointed that I was missing the opportunity to use my transit pass, but I was already so beat, I was extremely thankful to be carted around the city via car.

We drove into the city and had lunch at a local restaurant that serves menu items from popular places around town. That way you get a cross-section of Boston cuisine from one locale. Neat, huh? After enjoying our meal (and doing my best not to cough through the whole thing), we did a little bit of walking to check out a few cool buildings (one of which had an exterior of all mirrors), but essentially made our way back to the car.

We then toured the city via car. Other than Fenway, I can't tell you the name of a single thing I saw (blame it on the cold meds). After seeing pretty much the whole kit-and-caboodle, we pulled over for a beer at Durty Nelly's (yes, that's really how you spell it). From there he dropped me off back at my hostel and I was only too happy to be back under the covers and dozing off to Law & Order.

I realize that Boston is seriously getting jipped in my little east coast tour, but really, even if I had been fresh on my feet, how does a small, New England city that can only be described as "quaint" really expect to compete with New York? Don't get me wrong, even in my drug-induced-feverish stupor, I could see it was a cool city with plenty of charm. However, when it's only a $15, four hour bus ride from the Big Apple, it's always going to be wanting (at least a little bit).

Final judgment: lots of young people, lots of charm - I like it, but I don't LOVE it.

P.S. In my four hours there, I saw many, many cute boys. I had to continuously wipe the drool and doe-eyed stare off my face. This fact will not be overlooked in my consideration for a new city.

*Note, my level of crappiness was such that I couldn't even be bothered to take a single picture while in Boston. Pathetic, I know.

No comments: