Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Football, Art & Comedy

The next day was Super Bowl Sunday, so not really much to brag about here. We got up and went to church, loafed around a bit, then went to a Super Bowl party at this tiny bar converted to a sport's bar for the day. (Talk about the definition of a "hole-in-the-wall" bar...) It was actually pretty fun. We ate pulled-pork sandwiches, chips & guacamole, and of course, chex-mix. We watched the game on a huge projector screen and even though the Hawks weren't in this one, I cheered against the stupid Steelers with all my might. My heart really does go out to the Cardinals. I know just how they feel.

Monday was my first day to kick around town on my own. I was excited to wander a bit on my own...but was slightly thwarted by the cold. It's not so much the temperature outside that gets ya, it's the dang wind! It feels like it's trying to rip your face off (and not in a good way).

Nevertheless, I made my way (via public transit - yay!) downtown. First stop: The Chicago Art Institute. (Not only is this a super cool museum, but it's also where the gang goes in FBDO.) I got to see the famed Nighthawks (one of my personal favs), as well as countless Van Goghs, Monets, and Georgia O'Keffes. Unfortunately, American Gothic was on loan somewhere else (boooooo!) and I wasn't able to find the photography room or any Picassos (which was disappointing). But the place was HUGE and as all museums are, a little confusing. But I did find that huge pointalism painting that Cameron stares at forever. Good times. After almost two hours, even though I hadn't seen it all, I was exhausted. Thoroughly.

So much so that instead of heading to the Conservatory (a huge greenhouse, essentially) I just made my way home. The cold still had its hooks on me, and with that scary wind I mentioned, I was no match for the elements. Besides, it was nearly dinner time.

Once Micall got home from work, we headed back out toward a comedy club called The Second City. After a yummy mexican dinner next door, we caught an evening of sketch and improv comedy - and it was pretty good! We opted not to stay for the free improv after the show and made our way home, but not without stopping to browse at the pics of now-famous past performers. Guess who used to be a regular? None other than Michael Scarn (Steve Carrell). I bet he actually was pretty good at improv....

In any case, it was a fun way to wrap up my time here in Chicago. Technically I'm still here (at this particular moment), but I'm just biding my time until I head for the airport.

All in all, my "east coast tour" been a good trip and I'm glad I made the effort (despite the cold and, well, despite the cold). Now I just have to figure out, do I want to live in any of these places? Hmm...

1 comment:

The Norris Clan said...

You WANT to live in Chicago... believe me! I do! I miss it terribly. Sorry I didn't get to tell you some of the amazing places to go while you were there. So you just need to move there and I can help you then :-)