Thursday, May 29, 2008

Linen Pants & Cuban Cigars

As some of you may or may not know, on every vacation to Miami, we always have a "Linen Pant Night." I won't go into that story right now, but suffice it to say, each year we look forward to dressing up in our linen duds, taking several pictures, and pretty much thinking we're the coolest thing since sliced bread. (See picture "Come-et-e-yay-ha!" on sidebar for Linen Pant Night 2007.)

So our second night of vacation in the Islands was themed "Havana Nights," not only as a tie-in for the linen pants, but also for an evening of piƱa coladas, tacos, and an after dinner Cuban cigar. That's right baby, I said Cuban. As the unofficial host, Andy bought a round for each of us. I'd never smoked a cigar before, so I figured, Why not?


Brett was kind enough to take me under his wing and show me how to do it up right. After lighting my cigar for me, he first showed me how to take a puff, but not inhale (otherwise I'd be coughing and choking everywhere). Seemed easy enough, so soon I was ready for my next lesson: how to let the smoke roll out of my mouth (rather than just blowing it out). If you can do it right, it looks pretty sweet. This one took a little more practice, but I think I got the hang of it (sort of). Soon I was holding the cigar between my teeth like a pro and flicking the ash off the end like I'd been doing it my whole life. (Okay, so I can't actually pull that off yet, but I like to pretend). Toward the end of my cigar, I was brave enough to try to inhale (I know, scandalous!) and after a wee bit of sputtering, I managed a few small inhales and earned my very first smoking buzz. I thought it was pretty hilarious.

So I think I'm officially one of the boys now. (But maybe not.)

No comments: