Friday, October 30, 2009

Open Heart Surgery

Update (10:00pm): Just called the ICU to check in on mom and the nurse on duty said she still hadn't regained consciousness from the anesthesia. He was a little concerned that she was only responding on one side of her body. Since she's still not alert, she is still intubated. He said he has seen this before and the patient was just fine, but it's still cause for a little concern. Hopefully they'll be able to get the tube out by morning. Please keep praying for her (and us! I'm mostly keeping the panic at bay, but I'm pretty exhausted and my defenses are down). I'll try to update the post again in the morning.

Update (3:14pm): Everything went really well - they are currently closing her up right now. They did three bypasses, one valve replacement and one valve repair. I meet with the docs for the official debrief in about an hour. She'll go straight to ICU for recovery. The next 24-48 hours will be the most telling...

Update (11:44am): Everything is going as planned - she is on the heart/lung machine and they are beginning work on the bypasses. That will be followed by the valves. Next update should be around 3pm. So far, so good!


My mom is having her surgery done today (they're getting underway any minute...), so if you have a spare moment today and wouldn't mind saying a prayer or two, we'd be much obliged. :)

I'll update this post with any news as I get it throughout the day. But feel free to post any questions, etc.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

We prayed for you and your mom at church on Sunday. You will be in my prayers today, will be looking for an update.

Anne Marie said...

That's so awesome, thank you!!