Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Flying Solo in NYC

Unfortunately for me, I made two poor decisions the moment I walked out the door. 1) I immediately knew I was wearing the wrong shoes for the day, but was running late so didn't go back to change them. Bad idea. Very bad idea. 2) Though I stopped to take a picture of yesterday's breakfast joint, I did not stop and partake. I figured I'd just find something along the way. Bad idea. Very bad idea.

My plan for the day consisted of trying to track down a store where the über-cute hats were sold, swinging by the Empire State Building (but not going up, as that cost $45, sheesh!), and cruising through Times Square - and all before lunch. Why? Well, that's because at noon I was due to meet up with a contact of a contact that my dad set me up with to "show me the ropes" of New York. I was due to meet him in Chelsea for lunch.

So I set off on my agenda in uncomfortable shoes and an empty belly (I know Andi, you must just be shaking your head at me right now). Much to my dismay, I did not have any success finding the store with the cute hats (largely due to the fact that most of the stores were closed at 10am). Despite the expense, I was really, really looking forward to being trendy and having warm ears in NYC. (Awww) From there I successfully found the ESB, of which I dutifully took pictures and stood in awe of. But only for a minute, because it was dang cold out. So I got back on the subway and resurfaced at Times Square.

Who knew Times Square was so big? I had no idea. Apparently it's several blocks. I walked down a few and back up, stopping to pop in a few souvenier shops, but was too apathetic (read: enslaved by the hunger demon) to make any decisions and walked away with zero purchases. Terrible, I know. You'd think with all I learned about myself in Italy (especially the "need to be fed" part) that I'd be a pro at it by now. Apparently not.

So after being overwhelmed by bright lights of Times Square, I decided to head to Chelsea and await my lunch date. By the time I made it there, my feet were throbbing and I could hardly wait to eat. When I met my dad's contact, he told me he had a lunch date with a few of his guy friends and he figured I could tag along. I thought it was a wee bit strange, but was willing to go with the flow. So we headed to Grand Central Station to hit up The Oyster Bar.

The lunch went pretty well - the oysters were delicious (albeit, not very filling) and it was fun to talk to some real New Yorkers. However, this particular crowd were all self-dubbed foodies and most of their recommendations for me were (you guessed it) food. And seeing as I only had one more significant meal left in New York, the information was appreciated, but not particularly helpful.

Truthfully, the rest of my afternoon was not very exciting, so I won't bore you with the details. My feet hurt, I was still pretty hungry, and I didn't really have any specific destinations in mind, so I just wandered. Certainly nothing to brag about. My one success of the afternoon was that when I returned to where the hat shop was supposed to be, this time I found it! Yaaaaaaaaay! I am now the proud owner of a ridiculously expensive, reversible, and oh-so-trendy hat. And I couldn't be happier about it.

Soon after I made my way home (for what was something like my 8th subway ride of the day; definitely got my use out of that pass) and Mary, Dylan, and I shared our last meal of my adventure together at their favorite Thai joint near their house. It was a bring your own wine joint, so we did. It was delightful. And I can't exactly remember now what was so funny, but we laughed a lot. Fun times.

Even though my last day in New York was probably my least favorite, I'd have to say, I definitely heart NY. It's big, it's diverse, it's terribly interesting. The city just demands your attention, and you've gotta respect that. I've got big love for the big city.

No comments: