Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Babies, babies, and still yet, more babies

There comes a time in everyone's life wherein it feels as though everyone they know is pregnant. Right now is that time in my life. (At my last count, it was 8 buns in their respective ovens.)

So last weekend I headed up north for the first of many baby showers in my near future to celebrate with my good friend Diana on the eminent arrival of her baby girl. I figured since I have so much time on my hands these days, I'd make her a quilt for the occasion.

My first thought was that it would be a baby quilt - something for the new little one's room, something to add to all the other baby paraphernalia. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized I wanted it to be a gift for Diana. Something that she would use and enjoy; something that she got warmth and comfort from. Because really - let's be honest here - that baby doesn't give one rip about it. Thus, I decided I would be making her a mama quilt. A quilt that would appeal to Diana, that she could use to snuggle her newborn in, and that reflected Diana to me.

So in order to accomplish this feat, I employed the help of both my good friend and Diana's, Ms. Kristen Mauss. She was able to sneakily find out not only what colors Diana was into, but managed a fabric sample to boot! (I know, talk about an A+ on the reconnaissance.) With that kind of intel, the project came together in a little over a week. So without further ado, the final product:


So, do you like it?

(The main red fabric I used is a Heather Bailey fabric called Red Peonies from the Pop Collection and can be found here.)

4 comments:

diana said...

I LOVE it...I have already used it and have received many compliments...good work AM! I love hand made gifts and yours was one of my favorites...don't tell the others :)

Cory Ferens said...

That was such a great idea and so beautiful! What a good friend.

nate walker said...

the quilt it awesome- I love it. Reminds me of the wedding gift you ladies put together for me. In fact, Lucy is sleeping with it right now and has been these last two years. What a gift you have AM!

The Norris Clan said...

It is beautiful! Good on you! So fun seeing you this weekend...