Monday, March 23, 2009

Gainful Employment

I took a reprieve from my jam-packed schedule of living life and put my best foot forward for a job interview today.

A construction management company found my resumé on monster.com and called me a few weeks ago for a phone interview. Apparently I did pretty well because out of the masses, I was one of three chosen to interview for the position. After a 45 minute "skills test," I finally had the interview.

All in all, I think I did well. I did my best to be honest about what strengths I bring to the table and what I'm looking for in a position. I really walked out of there feeling like I might have the job.

The only trouble is, I don't want it.

Don't get me wrong - the job sounds pretty interesting, challenging enough, good office environment...the problem is, I don't know if I'm ready to go back to work yet. I'm really enjoying not having a job! This seems wrong and backwards though, so I'm trying to examine what my deal is.

I'll save your eyes the agony of reading my breathy self-rationalizations and just tell you that I think my hesitation (or lack of enthusiasm) is stemming from mediocrity. This job would be settling. I left my job because I no longer LOVED it, so why would I accept another when it's doomed to die the same death? I think at the end of the day, despite what the news is constantly trying to ram down my throat, bad economy or no, I'm holding out for something good. Something I believe in. Something I'm excited about. And I'm not willing to concede the point simply because this job is available now.

At least, that's what I intend to say when they call to let me know...

2 comments:

Brian Bowker said...

In my opinion, it's important that the job you choose meet at least two out of the following three criteria:

1) You're passionate about what you're doing.

2) You like the environment you're working in (like the people, or the location).

3) You're very clear with yourself about what doing this job enables you to do.

#3 might be, "So I can get my own place and stop living out of a bag". Or it might be, "So I can shield myself in this difficult economy while I keep my eyes open for something I'm more passionate about".

Part of what I like about working at Western is that the position I'm in tends to be very stable.

With the new stimulus bill in the works, civil construction looks to be a fairly stable industry for at least a few years. (But I would avoid getting into home building for the moment...)

Everybody has something that they don't like about their jobs. The trick is to be clear with yourself about what you do like about it; what the value of it is. Then you can make clear decisions.

But if you wait around for a job that meets all three criteria... You might be waiting for a long, long time.

I don't know what it is, but I suspect that your reluctance to take another job stems from something else that you haven't come to realize yet.

But my free advice is probably worth what you're paying for it.
;)

Anne Marie said...

Brian, as usual, I think you make a great point. And you may be right - I'm not sure WHAT it is that's keeping me from saying yes to this particular job...but there is certainly something. And whatever that something is, I'm trying my best to listen to it (even if I'm doing only a second rate job - hahah).

Who knows - perhaps by the time another job comes around, I'll have changed #3 to "So I can have a job," we'll just have to see :)