Sunday, March 1, 2009

Six Month Bag-i-versary

That's right, I have now officially been living out of a bag for six months. Six. Months. Half a year. Approximately 180 days.

Yikes.

About 30 of those days were spent in the Terps spare room before I left for Italy. 56 of those days were spent traveling in Italy. The remaining 94 have consisted of shuffling between various familial spare rooms and couches. O joy.

Actually, it hasn't been that bad. And I'm not really intending to complain so much as to marvel at how a) the time has flown and b) how different my life is now.

I'm still not working and still not stressing about it. I comb through Craigslist and Monster nearly every day, draft cover letters and introduce myself via email, but as of yet no fruits have come from my labor. And I'm okay with that. I know that the right thing will surface in the Lord's timing. Besides, it's really nice to take an extended break from the 40 hour work week.

In fact, I like it so much, I'm only looking for part time work at the moment. Something that isn't too challenging and will pad my bank account a bit (since family members don't charge me for rent - heh heh.) This might seem a bit kooky/really crazy, but the truth is I'm waiting out a possible full time opportunity.

So what is this gold mine I'm sitting on, you ask? Well, as it turns out, one of my dad's co-workers used to work with the head of the Mariners HR Department. So I sent my resumé to him and he forwarded it to his co-worker, who sent it to the M's...who called me the day she received it.

The long and the short of the phone call was that due to a hiring freeze, her hands were tied and she couldn't offer me anything at the moment, but that she'd be keeping my personnel file on her desk and checking in with me. It's not a promise of employment, but it's something. And let's be honest: working for the M's = Dream Job. So, I'm willing to coast along in neutral for a bit to see how this one pans out. Perhaps it won't work out and I'll have to really dig in and begin the job search. But for now, well, I'm enjoying spending the time with my family, catching up with friends, recreating, and flexing my creative outlets.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I just finished reading Anyone Out There? and loved it! It was just what I was looking for, something fun and light, though it had a little bit of darkness mixed in. You and your mom are officially my book-ies, har har. Next time I'm in Kent I may be stopping by for another fix!

The Terps said...

Sorry we can't be of more help with your Mariners gig. Though I'm truly excited about Griffey returning, I doubt we'll attend as many games (if any) as we will Sounders games. We've got tickets to four Sounders game. Yippeeee! Hard to support baseball amidst all the steroid drama; cheaters. Yawn.

And, the Seahawks just landed TJ Houshmandzadeh. They'll probably have a winning record this season and we'll want to go to their games too. Doesn't leave much room for the Mariners.

How's that for being a Debbie Downer on your Ms?