Saturday, November 7, 2009

Saying Goodbye

It's been an emotional but peace-filled morning. We're doing our best to surround mom with the people and things that she loved. We brought one of her quilts to snuggle her in and sprayed her with her favorite perfume. Mark and Austin made muffins (a Sunday morning tradition of my mom's) and we've been force-feeding them to everyone. :) Dede brought a cheap rosé (her favorite) with which we will toast her with in her final moments. We've been playing her all her favorite tunes, as well as a final good-bye recording from Austin and Gracen, which she seemed to respond to.

We've each had a bit of time to say our last good-bye and hold her in our hands for the final time. We've finally all arrived and will be taking her off the respirator shortly. I know I keep saying this, but I simply can't say it enough: all of the thoughts and prayers and words of endless comfort have been such a help during her time of passing, thank you. I know they must feel abrupt, awkward or insufficient, but truly, they have each been a blessing - every one. So again, a heart-felt thank you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anne Marie and Family,
Our thoughts, tears, prayers, and hugs are still with you.
Love, Paula and Dick

Anonymous said...

Dear Anne Marie,

We will be thinking of all of you, wishing we could be there to make you smile - as you have done so well for all of us.

Take care and let us know if we can do anything to help.

Love,
Your long distance family back in Illinois

Anonymous said...

Anne Marie,
Our thoughts and prayers are with you also!! So, so sorry...words can't even explain how much!!

Love ya much,
Brad, Sue and family

Anonymous said...

Anne Marie and Family: Thank you for sharing with me. Your ways of saying goodbye are so beautiful-I want my family to do the same for me. I had an opportunity to say goodbye on Friday night. After your Aunt and cousin left, I was alone with your mom until about 11:30 or so. It was a quiet peaceful time and I just talked and prayed and held her hand. I had a chance to reflect on all my memories of her and the things we had done together and the ways her presence was a gift in my life. God Bless her and also each of you as you go through this ending together. Teri Linders