Sunday, September 28, 2008

I Made It! (Part I)

I was unable to connect to the internet while at the airport in Munich, so this first part was written Saturday morning:

My flight from Chicago to Munich turned out to be a breeze. Thanks to my dad’s bonus points, I was able to make the 7 hour flight in first class, baby. That meant that I not only had my own movie selection to choose from (and personal screen from which to watch it), but I was able to order my meals from a menu (and dictate when I ate them) and, most importantly, to lean back, put my feet up, and recline my way over the big blue ocean. It was pretty fantastic. If you have the means, I highly recommend flying first class – such a different experience. Sidenote: As it turns out I was the only first class passenger, can you believe that? There were 10 seats total and I was the only one. It was kind of weird…made me feel like a snooty aristocrat who doesn’t want “others” around. Ha-ha. So to say I got personal, attentive service is an understatement.

Despite all the perks, I’m proud to say I only indulged in one movie on the flight (it helped I had already seen most of the selections) and was actually able to get in about 5 hours of sleep. That sounds really crappy, but it was actually great. As I wait for my next flight, I feel well rested and ready for what’s ahead. As I write this, it’s 11:00am in Germany and it doesn’t feel too far off.

So as I sit here typing this, a middle-aged man (clearly German) has sat down at the table across from me and is arranging his belongings. When he first came over, I noted the enormous stein of beer he set down, but didn’t think much of it. (I mean, hey, I’m in Germany; it’s too be expected, right?) But it has just occurred to me that it is 11:00 in the freaking morning!! Kinda early for a brew, don’t ya think?! So I quickly glanced around and have noted that several people are drinking already. Hmm…not sure if this is an airport thing, or a German thing. Perhaps both?

No comments: