Thursday, September 18, 2008

Practice Makes Perfect

Since I'm going to be spending quite a bit of quality time with my bad self in these coming weeks, I decided it was a good idea to practice being alone in public places. In my every day life, I don't have occasion to do this very often. So I've been taking myself to lunch and planting myself right in the middle of life just to see what happens.

And you know what? It's not that bad.

I know it's typically the American nightmare to eat lunch in a public place by oneself, but it has been a liberating experience. I'll tell you one thing: it makes you infinitesimally more approachable. People talk to you all the time. I don't know if it's pity because they think you don't have any friends, or if it's simply because the opportunity is always there (as there is no ongoing conversation to interrupt), but it's true. Plus, it affords you the opportunity to do some serious Jason Bourne-esqe people watching. I've decided my favorite new game is to try and figure out how groups of people know one another. Are they family? Co-workers? Is it a date? Girls night out? The possibilities are endless, really.

In any case, I've found the occasional meal alone or a date with yourself to a movie is a great self-growth opportunity. It puts you outside your box and exposes just how comfortable you are with You. If you haven't done it lately, take yourself out on a date. I guarantee you'll enjoy the company.

No comments: