Monday, September 22, 2008

Anker Cafe


If you haven't been to the Anker Cafe, you should really check it out. They took over the old Fantasia space on Cornwall Ave downtown. And not only is it totally organic (meaning grass roots and cool, not media-culture "organic") and earthy, but the food is completely yum-o. They regularly serve Pure Bliss desserts and let me tell you: they are most appropriately named. (Everything in the case tastes even better than it looks; trust me, I know the owner.)

And as if this weren't enough, the owners (the Ankers) are totally rad. They'll hook you up with their free wireless internet (just ask), they frequently have live music goin' on, and the chill atmosphere and funky art on the walls is enough to make anyone want to write a sonnet.

Not to mention that Bill (one of the owners) is absolutely creative out the wa-zoo. Not only does he make some of the most fantastic soups I've ever had the occasion to taste, but he is all about the finishing touches. I ordered a nanamo (nanimo? na-noo na-noo?) bar with my tea and not only did he fancy-pants-chocolate-up my plate before serving it to me (insert Homer Simpson-esque drooling noise here), but he also busted out that frickin' awesome anchor you see in the drink pictured above.

Now to be fair, he did that to Erin's drink and not mine, but still: rad-tacular! It was the final touch to what he calls the Bazooka Breve. (Or something like that. Upon reflection, that might not be right....but it wasn't my drink, so other than the über cool anchor, I wasn't really paying that much attention.) In any case, it is a drink of his own invention that included espresso, chocolate, caramel and half & half. What could be bad about that?

If you have the chance, you should stop by and pay them a visit. They're working hard for the money, so you'd better treat them right ;)

2 comments:

Brian Bowker said...

Seriously - this post is telling no lies. The best sandwich I think I've ever had was last week at the Anker Cafe. I love that place!

Anonymous said...

Anne Marie,
You are one clever little writer! I had no idea. I wish I had taken the time to get to know you better. Don't make that mistake as you get older. Keep being the charismatic, fun-loving woman that you are and don't let the stuff of everyday living bog you down. I am certainly looking forward to reading about your adventures! as well, I am going to read more of this blog of yours.(I am so seriously computer retarded. Thanks for sending me the link or I'd have never found it!)
Good luck to you and God bless,
Lorinda