Wednesday, September 17, 2008

An Unexpected Comrade

Now that I'm full boar unemployed, and I've got (and I use this term loosely) a little extra time on my hands, I decided to establish a good habit before my trip and spend some legitimate time reading my bible (instead of the sporadic psalm or "hello" prayer I had previously been getting by on). Needless to say, having the freedom to set my own schedule and begin my day at my own time and at my own pace has been tremendously helpful in what had previously been only a lofty pursuit.

Anyway, all that to say, I decided to crack open the O.T. and catch up on the Israelites' history. So I began reading in 1 Samuel, anxious to learn how the Israelites transitioned from a period of judges to a series of kings. The chapter naturally opens with Samuel's birth (the book being named after him and all). However, the story actually begins with his mother, Hannah. Now, I'm not gonna say I didn't know this story - but I didn't really know this story.

As it turns out, Hannah was one of two wives. And similar to Jacob's second wife Rachel, she too was the wife "more loved" by the husband but unable to have children. Except Hannah was not only barren; she was also regularly taunted by the other wife. In fact, the first wife would verbally abuse Hannah until she would cry and was unable to eat. As if it were not enough to have such a deep and genuine longing unfulfilled in your life, but to also have your rival pointing out your failure every opportunity? Augh! Verse 10 says, "She was very upset as she prayed to the Lord, and she was weeping uncontrollably." Can you imagine that? When I read that, my heart broke for this woman.

I don't know about you, but I have known that kind of longing. I have spent my share of time flat on my face and sobbing at the Lord's feet; it is no easy cross to bear. I cannot know what it is to feel barren, but I can know how her heart ached. I have been on those knees. I have cried those tears.

Which is precisely why as I read her story, it immediately evoked my emotions. Before I knew it, my eyes were brimming and my chest was filled with the uneven breath that often precedes a good cry. My heart knows this woman who lived and died centuries before I was born.

I got a hold of myself and continued to read. As it turns out, Hannah makes a promise to the Lord: if he will give her a child, she will dedicate that child back to him. The Lord grants her request and she becomes pregnant. (Now this is what really gets me...) When he is old enough, she takes him to the temple and hands him over to the priest. She gives him fully to the Lord and to his work. He is no longer her child, but God's.

Woooow. To want something so badly, get it, and then give it back up....this woman possesses a strength I can only hope to attain. Her faithfulness brought me to tears (I mean, I was already a little emotional, but that just shoved me right on over the edge). What an underrated example of faith.

God of course blessed her silly after that. She has several more children and was able to visit Samuel annually as he grew in his faith. He is quickly annointed as a prophet and his story really begins to take off from that point as Israel prepares for change. But still. Hannah has simply astounded me. (I feel astounded.) I was touched by her story and compelled to share it with you.

Take heart, dear reader: the Lord knows your deepest longing, he is listening.