Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Quiz Night - Round 2

If you're anything like me, then you would've expected that the second attempt at quiz night would merit a marked improvement.

Yeah, not so much.

Turns out my two quiz partners were: a) sick and b) an hour late. Therefore I was left to fend for myself and tackle our first official quiz night on my own (which surprisingly, actually drew a fair amount of attention in and of itself). And I don't know about you, but for me, quizzes are significantly easier when you can bounce your ideas off of other people. Or brainstorm together. Or when someone else in your team already knows the answer. As I was working by myself, I had none of these weapons in my arsenal. And let me tell you: I may think I know lots of stuff, but it turns out all I really know are random movie quotes and song titles. And that knowledge was not particularly helpful in the first half of the quiz which featured sections like: In the News, Butterflies, & Calendars. I was a disaster.

Fortunately for me, the super nice (not to mention adorable) bar tender took pity on me and helped me out with a few answers. Even with his help, I still only managed a puny 9 correct answers out of 25. This was enough for dead last. And yes, they read the team rankings aloud during the half time. D'oh!

Fortunately for me two key things happened next. 1.) Andi arrived (two heads are better...) and 2.) Two of the second half quiz questions dealt with music (one of these was
Canadian pop music, but still...). Yesssss! As you might have expected, we did significantly better on the second half. In fact, we did so well, we were actually able to sneak ahead and take first place by one point!!

Okay, that was a lie.

But. We did come up with quite a few correct answers in the second half and ended with a much more respectable score. And hey, we had a great time all the while. (Which was the point.) Plus, I mean, I made friends with the cute bar tender and I learned that uisce is Irish for water*, what more could I possible need for next week?

*Huh, surprised you didn't know that.

2 comments:

Holly said...

Next week I'm tot there, no matter what! I had no idea uisce was Irish for water. But that's not that surprising since the only other Irish word I know is "Eire" for Ireland and then some inapprop words I won't put on your nice blog :).

The Norris Clan said...

Logan IS adorable! Are you SURE you want to go to Italy.... :-)