Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Bologna - Strike! Strike! Strike!

So I'd heard Bologna was more "political" than other cities, but I had no idea what I was in for. (Oh and did I mention there was also a bus strike?) Yeah.

Shortly after checking into the hostel, the receptionist informed me that all the buses would be on strike tomorrow from 8:30-4:30 and from 7:30 on. That meant I had to be on my A-game tomorrow. I had to be prepared to catch a bus before 8:30am, otherwise I was spending all day at the hostel. Additionally, I had to be sure to catch a bus back to the hostel between 4:30 and 7:30 - or it was going to be a loooong walk home. But I was up for the challenge.

Fortunately my roommate, Sara*, was working in the city in the morning and would be up early, so I had a safety net to be sure I didn't oversleep. (Which, for the record, my internal clock has been serving me quite well thus far on the trip, thankyouverymuch.) Thus come morning, I was on the bus before 8:30 with no major hiccups.

When I boarded the bus, I had only been able to nab a seat facing the rear, so this afforded me the opportunity of observing literally everyone else on the bus. After I time, I noticed a blond gentleman observing me, so I smiled politely, but thought nothing of it. Soon after it occurred to me, I had no idea where to get off the bus. I still had no map, no tour guide, and no idea what there was to see or do in Bologna. I'll just shoot for something near the train station - I know there is a tourist info office there. Seems like a good place to start.

The bus soon arrived at the main station and everyone got off. Oh right, there's a strike - the driver isn't going to finish the route. Everyone piles off the bus and I find myself next to the blond gentleman I had smiled at earlier. You speak English, don't you? he says. Yes, I do! Are you headed for the train station? I ask. (He had a bag in hand.) Yes, yes - worked two days and saw the sights for one in Bologna and now headed back home to Switzerland. Well I hope the trains are running, I say - there's a bus strike today, and I heard a rumor the trains might strike as well! He thought this was hilarious. Then he started looking around and noticing ALL the people on the streets and not on buses. I was just thinking, whatever dude - I'm following you to the train station; just keep walkin'.

At the train station I picked up a map and a suggested tour. I studied for a bit and then decided to head for the main piazza. There were supposed to be several free sites there and it was a main drag for the city, so it seemed ideal. On my way I discovered a city part and decided to take the scenic route. I again noted the abundance of graffiti on everything and wondered what that is really about.

Eventually I made my way to the piazza and shortly after I arrived, I was greeted with whistles being blow and clapping and shouting all around me. I turned around and a student demonstration was right behind me! They were carrying sheets as signs and marching all around the square. There was a leader with a megaphone and the crowd would respond....too bad I have NO idea what it was all about. It was all in Italian and there were no subtitles.

So I pulled over to a café on the piazza and ordered a cappuccino to watch all the action. Soon the students settled down and congregated in groups, but it was interesting people watching in any case.

After that I checked out a few statues and I contemplated going into some of the free buildings, but honestly, I was pooped. I just didn't have it in me to "site-see." People watching was much more fun. So I wandered around the streets and discovered some great architecture. It felt like there were towers and arches down every lane; what a town for a college campus!

After that I scored the most delicious sandwich-y thing for lunch and enjoyed a coke from a super skinny can (so chic). I was feeling ready to go home, but it was only 2:00pm and the bus strike wasn't over yet, so I hit the streets for some more drifting.

Soon I wandered into another market (how do they find me?) and blew a wad. (What? I'm Christmas shopping, lay off me.) As I left, I was feeling quite satisfied with my purchases and giddy with excitement to deliver them. I began to review them in my head and was wondering how much more I should buy during the trip both for myself and for others when suddenly, I heard the little green monster say: Hey I have an idea...why don't you just keep it all for yourself! Evil little thing. I'm not going to lie to you; I was tempted. But then I dismissed the idea and firmly committed: Note to self, must give presents to intended recipients.

After that I headed for the bus stop, anxious to put my dogs to bed (sit down and take off my shoes). I had a wait forever for a bus that was running to my route (which, since I was hungry and tired was highly irritating in the moment) but all was well. I got to the hostel by dinner time.

Now...where in the heck am I going to eat??

*Sara worked for a company that was studying way to find more sustainable and renewable energy and buildings and such. Nick - you would be so proud!!

No comments: