Thursday, October 2, 2008

Cinque Terre – Finding Friends

On the third morning, the girls had to catch an early train, so I got up with them, walked them to the end of town and said my good-byes. As they were leaving, and I experienced my first few minutes of true aloneness in a foreign country, my stomach was turning in knots a wee bit. But by the time I got back to our room, I was feeling much better (perhaps it was only gas?). I took my time gathering my things, spent a little time in the Word and just enjoyed the fact that I wasn’t on any kind of a schedule. I wasn’t sure how finding lodging was going to go, but I reminded myself to just take it one step at a time, and I’d figure it out.

As I was heading down the 400 steps out of Corniglia (augh), I ran into our Floridian friends from dinner the first night. We stopped to chat for a bit and as I left, my load seemed a little bit lighter. I had to hurry to catch my train though and with my bag on my back, that was no easy feat. (Oh and did I mention I’m in a skirt and wedges? It seemed like a comfortable outfit when I put it on that morning…I just kind of forgot about all those stairs…) So as you can imagine, I was huffing and puffing and a sweaty mess by the time I was on the train. It’s only about a 3 minute ride to Vernazza, so I was in no better shape by the time I arrived. So I stepped off the train, set all my bags down, and just took a breather. I had nowhere to go just yet, so why not? One step at a time, right?

As I sat there trying to cool down and regulate my breathing, Erin, my new friend from yesterday strolls up onto the platform. We chatted for a bit and discovered we had quite a bit in common. Not only do we both love Jesus (yay!) but we are both traveling for two months on our own, both quit jobs of 5 years because we were feeling restless and the need to move on, both decided to move to a new city after quitting said jobs, but concluded a trip to Italy was necessary first. Weird, eh? The only real difference being that Erin will be touring more of Europe and I’m staying primarily in Italia. Oh and she’s from Virginia Beach and I’m from Bellingham. In any case, what a blessing! So she and I renewed our commitment to dinner plans and parted ways for the afternoon.

6 comments:

Kristen said...

Yay for new friends! That is so crazy that you Erin have so much in common! Sounds like a good traveling friend for at least some of the time.

The Norris Clan said...

I can't wait to hear how dinner was! When you mentioned to Florida family, I was SURE they were going to invite you to the wedding... how fun would that be?!

Brian Bowker said...

When you said that after you'd chatted with the Floridians your load felt a little lighter, I was just sure you were going to realize that they had stolen one of your bags... What a relief!

That IS odd that you and Erin would have so much specific stuff in common. If this were a movie I'd wonder what that was leading up to...

Anne Marie said...

Karyn: the dinner turned out to be SO MUCH fun! Erin joined me and we had quite a good time with the Florida peeps!

Brian: Sorry for the confusion - they definitely didn't rob me! It's just that I was walking down 400 stairs with my huge pack on my back in wedges...it was quite the challenge! So some familiar faces and encouragement were quite welcome!

Amanda: said...

Hi -

I'm a friend of Peter's, and he suggested I read b/c you're funny and interesting, yadda yadda yadda. So I read. And you are funny and interesting. :)

I saw that you met a girl from Va Beach - where I spent the first 16 years of my life. Curious if I know her, even if it is a pretty big city...

Anne Marie said...

Hi Amanda!!

Erin's last name was Hatcher...does that help? You have to tell me if you know her!!

Thanks for reading - I'm flattered you think I'm funny and interesting, yadda, yadda, yadda...;)