Monday, October 13, 2008

Sunday Morning Contemplation

It had occurred to me that Michelangelo’s unfinished Pietá was a good metaphor for a believer striving to be like Christ. Each of his children is a work of art that he painstakingly and lovingly shapes into exactly what he wants. Some develop quickly and take form easily before requiring refinement, while others are tougher to initially sculpt, but then require less refinement. And in the end, we are each a totally different work and we each have a different form and function.

I was actually quite pleased with myself for coming up with this pictorial allegory. I began to wonder, if my life was a piece of art sculpted by God, what would it look like? ….and then I had the humbling realization that I was looking at this from a completely egocentric point of view.. While it’s true - this is a beautiful way to think about it – the focus of the thought is all about me. What is my purpose? What does my statue look like? What is God trying to do in me?

Then I remembered something I had read in 1 Samuel last week: God desires obedience over sacrifice. All God really wants from me, is to just be with him. Everything else is secondary – what I do for him, what I do in this life, where I go, who I meet – none of it is important in the context of eternity. The question is, did I give God my sacrifices and then go on my merry way? Or did I actually stop, listen, and hear what he has to say?

1 comment: