Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Florence – A Day With the L’Abri Peeps

The next morning I am, of course on time. My new peeps are, of course, late. We wait for another gal we met last night from Holland (Greka??) and head off to the museum. After a quick pit stop for breakfast (yes, cappuccino and a cream brioche) we arrive at the museum and learn two floors are closed. Boooo! We can still go (for a reduced price) but obviously, there will be less to see.


We go anyway and spend about an hour learning just how much of The Man Galileo really was: unbelievably smart. Seriously. What it must have been like to make so many discoveries that changed the way we viewed the world...I can’t even really contemplate that; only peripherally, at best.

From there the group was going to the Duomo, so I decide to tag along (and they were kind enough to allow me). Comparatively, for a church it was quite plain – there are actually white, unpainted walls lining the nave. It was almost weird. But there is a large painting in the dome (last judgment), plus for the low, low price of 6 EU we can climb to the top for a view of the city. Unfortunately the line is considerably longer than we want to stand in, so we forego the stairs (for now) and decide to pursue lunch instead.

We find a market and grab some grapes, mixed nuts and have paninis made and picnic in a nearby park. We lay low for quite a while, until a park guard gets mad at us for sitting on the grass (weird) and scoots us out. So now what? I tell them about Piazzale Michelangelo (with the great view) and we decide to head up there. Even though I’ve seen it already, I stay with the group. It’s nice to not have to make any decisions, not to mention to have some company.

After several pictures we head back down. The stairs at the Duomo will be closing soon, so we make our way toward the church. However, Matt has to file a report for his stolen phone in order to claim it on his insurance. So we split up – Philip and I check out the Baptristry while Matt and Ellen find the polizia and Patrick does some people watching. We meet up after an hour and climb the many, many stairs to the top of the church. About halfway up we’re greeted with an up-close view of the painting in the dome. Yes, it's another last judgment, but it’s interesting because at the very top of the dome, it looks as though there are people sitting on a ledge up there, watching the whole thing take place. I particularly enjoyed that touch.

We tackle the rest of the stairs and are rewarded with a 360 view of Florence at sunset. Pretty sweet. Unfortunately we don’t have too long before the Duomo closes and we’re forced to go back down. From there we decide to actually have the gelato we set out for the previous evening, before my new friends have to catch a train to Rome.

We find the gelato with relatively little trouble and Philip and I both order vanilla (and I thought Dad and I were the only classic vanilla lovers out there. Huh). We walk back to the hostel so they can grab their bags and we can say our good-byes.

There are renewed invitations for me to join them in Rome, but I’m paid up in Florence for the next two nights and I haven’t seen David yet. Can’t leave without seeing David. However, they’re headed to Cinque Terre in two days…now that is tempting. Three days in my favorite spot in Italy with a new group of friends? No brainer.
P.S. - Photos courtesy of PBJ

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Comment two of the day:

FYI, Trev LOVES classic vanilla. Sometimes he's confused why I would order anything else. So he can join your totally cool classic vanilla club and I will watch y'all from the sidelines. ;)

Love,
me

Brian Bowker said...

How cool that you've found a group of friends to hang out with! This is where your real Italy memories begin!

Just don't forget about us little people back home!

Holly said...

you do so much in one day! Strong work my friend! I would honestly probably do about half the sightseeing you do and about twice as much eating :). One thing Corey and I both love to do on vacay is try new yummy restaurants and of course the local beer or wine.