Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Venice - Hands Down: Best Dinner Yet

So last night I opted for an expensive, -whatever-I-want meal instead of the pub crawl because my feet were killing me.  I was too tired to try and pick a place so I decided to find a Rick Steves' recommendation instead.  


Excellent idea.

I actually found the joint (yay me!!!) and ordered completely in italiano (woo hoo!!!)  I have no idea what it is called in English, but it's basically black pasta.  I know, it sounds terrible, right?  But it's so not.  It's black because it is colored with squid ink (I know!  Sounds terrible, but it's SO not!) and really, it looks kind of like noodles in tar.  But BOY! was it delicious!

Now, before you commend me on trying something this new and brave, I had actually previewed a similar dish way back in Cinque Terre when we first met our friends from Florida.  We had swapped tastes: black pasta for anchovies.  So I knew it would be good.  But this particular plate was amazing.  

Plus, this time around it came with squid in it.  And I'm usually a calamari fan, but this was the stinking best squid I've ever had.  And the great thing was, I wasn't starving going into the meal, so I know it was legitmately delicious.  

I paired my meal with a local cab sav and finished it all off with some lemon-y cake-y thing.  Ohhh, sooo goooood.  All of it.  I'm quite sad I didn't have my camera with me so I could document the deliciousness for you all.  Perhaps I'll just have to have it again....

2 comments:

Brian Bowker said...

Did it make your mouth black? That would be awesome!

Anne Marie said...

Ya know, it did a little. In the same way that a good red wine will turn your tongue a little purple.

I definitely had a black tongue :)