Thursday, October 30, 2008

In Cinque Terre (again)

After three train rides and half a day of site-seeing in Pisa, when I arrive in Riomaggiore, I’m plumb tuckered. I had contemplated seeking out a single bedroom for the night (I was craving the privacy of my own room and the luxury of my own bathroom), but when I came through the pedestrian tunnel and the sign for Mar Mar Rooms (where my friends would be staying) was right there…I’ll be honest, I caved. At this moment in time, simplicity was taking precedence over everything else.

They had a bed for me and I checked right in with no problems. The gal at the desk gave me great directions to find my room (despite being “dorm room accommodations, the rooms are all still spread out in the small city) and I was all set to head out the door when she says, “Oh, there will be two beds in the room: a double and a single. Be sure to take the single in case anyone else checks in.” At first, my reaction is – well, sure. I wouldn’t hog the big bed when others might need it. But then it occurs to me that “others” might be a married/dating couple. Me. And a couple. Sharing a room. Well that would just put my third-wheel dinner party story to shame. Augh.

But for now, I have a room with an attached bathroom to myself and I’m only paying 20 EU a night. That’s a major steal. I’ll take it. I quickly settle in and decide food is a must. Now last time I was here, I pretty much only took the time to do the Rick Steves’ recommended walk around town – and not much more. I’m not familiar with good places to eat or where to find internet access. I start to consult Rick, but that involves reading and decision-making and all I really want is a quick, filling, cheap meal. Immediately a pizza joint in Monterosso comes to mind and I wish I could eat there. Then it occurs to me, I can just eat there! So I hop on a train (for the low, low price of 1.40 EU) and I’m there in a snap. Woo hoo!

I quickly walk myself to aforementioned pizza joint (congratulating myself all the way there for this absolutely brilliant idea) and when I arrive, I see that it’s completely dark. Hmm, maybe they just open late…?? (You can see how desperate I was for them to be open – they are clearly closed.) Sure enough: closed on Wednesdays. Boooo! Who’s not open on Wednesdays?? How am I supposed to know it’s Wednesday? I have no concept of time here…

Miserably I turn around and try to summon the willpower to make a decision (I’m quite hungry by now and we all know that’s just a recipe for grumpy). I march myself over to where I remember a couple of places that looked inexpensive and interesting the first time around, when I spot another pizzeria. Perfect. Done deal.

I quickly sit and order a pizza – the first one that comes to mind – and then patiently wait. As I do so, I notice that all the other patrons of the restaurant are tourists. D’oh! Usually that’s a surefire indication that the food won’t be great. I decide to get over it – too hungry to care. When the food finally does arrive, it’s not too bad. My biggest complaint was that the olives were whole and still had the pits (who puts whole, unpitted olives on a pizza anyway?), but in terms of feeding me, it gets the job done, so I’m a happy camper.

After that I head back home and take advantage of my newfound privacy/bathroom by soaking my feet and painting my nails – two things I haven’t been able to do for ages. Ahhh, the small perks of life. Sometimes they make life worth livin’.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the toe painting! Word up, girlfriend!