Friday, October 31, 2008

You’re Not From the Northwest, Are You?

The next morning I enthusiastically rap on their door at 10am (as previously agreed the night before), but the only one out of bed is Philip. So he and I head out for some breakfast while the others get with the program. Since breakfast is an über-low priority meal here in Italy, we’re pretty excited to have found a place with cereal, yogurt, OJ, and pastries to choose from. I choose yogurt and milk. Philip goes for OJ (fresh squeezed!) and croissants. Mmm, mmm! Good eats!

When we get back to the room, Patrick is still in bed and Ellen and Matt have gone to breakfast. We wait around for a while, but it becomes evident that they won’t be back anytime soon (and we get the impression from Patrick that no one else is really keen on sight-seeing today; the weather was a little on the grey side…) so we decide to go explore another city on our own.

We decide to walk the brief, 10-minute paved "hike" to Manarola. Despite being one of the sleepier towns of Cinque Terre, it is (in my opinion) the most beautiful. We arrive and immediately head toward the waterfront. This is where Rick’s self-guided tour begins, but I knew there were a couple good views not included on the tour, so we wandered around and check those out first.

Soon though, we get back on track with Rick and are directed to the city center. In the mean time, it has started to drizzle. I am completely unfazed because it is the light, airy, hardly noticeable rain we’re more than accustomed to in the Northwest, but Philip is slightly put out so I try to reassure him that it won’t last. I’m sure I was in the middle of one of these little "keep-your-chin-up" pep talks when, as we head down a small, brick staircase, my feet slip right out from under me and before I know it I’m flat on my ass. I kid you not, it was like a cartoon character slipping on a banana peel: one second I was standing and the next I was not. I pop right back up and the worst of it seems to be that I now have a wet butt. A little further investigation, however, reveals a scrape on my arm, but all is well. Philip is kind enough to not laugh at me (at least immediately) and we get back to the tour.

The next stop is a “museum” which consists of one room and a 15 minute video about wine-making in CT. We decide to get out of the rain and enlighten ourselves, but the video proves difficult to follow (technically it was in English, but the accent was so strong, half the time I had no idea what she was saying). Aside from the difficulties associated with actually understanding the video, my forearm is really starting to smart. It seems the scrape has bled a little and is actually starting to swell. I’m such an idiot; I can’t believe I fell down.

We finish the rest of the tour with no more hiccups (read: I don’t fall down again) and decide to head to Monterosso. There seems to be more food options there and this will give us the opportunity to check out another city. We head straight for a Rick Steves recommendation and quickly order two foccacia sandwiches. About 5 seconds later those were gone and we were still kind of hungry (not that they weren’t delicious; because they were…they just weren’t big enough). So I suggest that we find one of those places where you order a semi-expensive glass of wine and get free little eats along with it (since we’re not really looking for a whole meal).

We find a place with relatively little trouble and order two glasses of actual Cinque Terre wine (since we had just learned all about it, it seemed terribly appropriate) and a plate of cheese. The wine serves to naturally slow the go-go-go pace we had been setting and we get to swapping stories about life. The conversation is quality and the weather changes from light to legitimate, so we sit for quite some time. It ended up being one of those savory experiences. The kind where, had you planned it, would’ve felt contrived or cheesy (heh - cheesy), but when they just happen are fun and memorable. It was one of my favorite parts of my trip so far.

Since the rain showed no signs of letting up, we decide to head back for a weather appropriate wardrobe change before exploring the next town. Besides, perhaps by now we can get the others to join us. Unfortunately once we get back, it becomes immediately clear that no one wants to go out (they’re already in the middle of movie number two (three?) for the day…sissies). And while originally Philip was game for staying out in the rain, now that he’s inside….notsomuch. Sigh. I guess there won't be any scales falling from their eyes today. To me, the rain is nothing; certainly no reason to change my plans or complain. But to them, it’s definitely something. So I try to keep the eye rolling to myself, accept that I am outnumbered, and just agree to stay in.

When it comes time for dinner, Matthew and Ellen want to stay in and cook (which if I were at home would seem totally normal, but here??). The rest of us want to eat out. Looks like we’re splitting up again. But Patrick decides eating immediately is more important than eating together and grabs a pizza and beer from the place around the corner before we can say Jack Rabbit Slim. So that leaves Philip and I (which seems to be a common theme on this trip) and we decide to try something new and head to Vernazza.

We choose a Rick restaurant (of course) and decide to order two dishes and share. We try fried seafood and lasagna al pesto. The seafood was meh (more like a la Red Lobster) the lasagna al pesto was di-vine. It was creamy and cheesy without being too rich and with just the right amount of pesto – SO good! (Write that one down for later…)

After that we called it a night. Tomorrow is hiking day (no, no one wants to join us - Philip seems to be the only one of the group who sees what I see here) and we figured we’d get an early-ish start (9:30). I returned to my room relieved to find that it was still uninhabited by anyone other than me. So far this has been the best 20 EU a night I’ve spent.

1 comment:

Brian Bowker said...

You're a Northwest girl! Don't let the people with weaker geographical backgrounds get you down!