Friday, October 10, 2008

An Observation (or two) if you will...

  • Italians say Prego (your welcome) after Grazie (thank you) like Americans say Fine after How are you?; lifelessly and immediate.
  • Several more things are motion activated here, things you wouldn't expect: escalators (I totally walked up to one and thought it was broken, was turning around and then saw someone get on it - oops), bus exit doors, hall and stairwell lights - oh - and bathroom lights. That's a great one (especially when you're in the shower and the lights go out and you have to flail your hand above the curtain just so you can see where the soap is.
  • Everyone here has a Louis Vuitton bag. Everyone. Even men.
  • The women here must have ankles of steel...I just don't know how they are walking around these cobbled streets (and all cities have cobbled streets, even the big ones) in four-inch heels. I have yet to see one fall down or roll an ankle (something I do daily), but I'm holding out hope...
  • If it is 60 degrees outside, then a jacket, scarf, wool poncho, or combination thereof is necessary.
  • Brown and black go together and are accessible within the same outfit.
  • Road signs are suggestions and crossing the street is an act of faith.
  • It costs more to sit down than to stand in caffés.
  • Kissing (and I mean kissing, not just some lousy peck) in public is the norm (and for some reason, not as repulsive as when I see it at home).
  • There is graffiti everywhere - on everything (but not churches or national monuments...usually). In Verona I saw graffiti of a dog pooping on a swastika, uhmm...??

3 comments:

The Norris Clan said...

I paint dogs pooping on swastikas all the time, don't you? Really, Stampin' Up should make a set with that. I would tot buy it. It would save me SO much time!

Brian Bowker said...

@Karyn: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

But seriously, great post, Anne Marie! I love the idea of motion activated bathroom lights. I'll have to install those at home!

Cory said...

brandon has been telling me i can mix brown and black for years, i have been telling him he is wrong, i guess i have to apologize now!