Friday, October 3, 2008

Cinque Terre – Finding a Room

Alright, it was finally go time. My one goal for the day was to find lodging. It didn’t matter how long it took me, and if I got desperate, it didn’t matter how much I spent, but the bottom line was: I’m going to find a room.

I started by popping into all the little shops and asking, “Una camera, per fevore? But I was either turned down, or offered doubles that were simply out of my price range. Just when I was starting to get a wee bit discouraged (and I thought my back was simply going to crumble from holding all that weight for so long) I headed into a little sandwich shop and patiently waited my turn. When I got to the front, and again asked for a room, the woman gently shook her head no and I began to turn away. But then, the gal who had ordered right in front of me asked if I needed a single. Yes! I do!! She had a room. Praise the Lord!

I followed her back to a bar (which was closed that day) and sealed the deal. She showed me the room and warned me, “there are a few stairs”. After what felt like we’d been climbing stairs forever, we finally arrived at the building (and I’m happy to say she was huffing and puffing nearly as hard as I was). “It’s on the third floor,” she says. Augh!! We climb the narrowest, tiniest, and twisty-est staircase I’ve ever had the privilege to climb and we’re finally there. She shows it to me and it’s perfect – I’ll take it! I was so hot and exhausted at that point I would have taken anything. Fortunately it was only 45EU and within my budget. I made arrangements to pay her and as soon as she was gone, I stripped down to my skivvies and lay on the bed. Not moving. For 30 minutes. I was one tired puppy.

But I did it.

(Click for a "tour"!!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Sis!!! I loved the tour, especially the bell ringing in the back ground. What a beautiful site!

Brian Bowker said...

Wow! Not so bad at all!

Fun video too!

Anonymous said...

Wow, simply amazing. I'm so proud of you, lil sis! Keep up the great posts!

MC