Monday, November 3, 2008

All Carbs, All the Time

So after what amounts to about 40 days of mostly carbs (with a side of meat and dairy), you'd think I'd be sick of pasta (Lord knows I couldn't eat it this often at home), but here...it's not even an issue. In fact, I haven't really even craved for food at home (other than the occasional pho craving I get after reading Marjie's blog - but that doesn't count). And to tell you the truth, I feel extremely good. I think my diet (oddly enough) is the most balanced it's ever been. Every day I have plenty of energy to carry me through the (seemingly) endless miles I walk and I'm not tempted to overeat. I feel satisfied after every meal, but never busting at the seams. It seems weird that so many carbs could do that, but I have a sneaky feeling it has to do with the kinds of carbs and their proportions to other food groups*. I think the Italians are really onto something with this tiny-breakfast-multi-carb-large-lunch-OR-dinner-wine-every-day thing they've got going on**. I have no idea if the scale would agree with me, but my pants are roomier than ever and I even inherited a belt from a girl in Lucca so I could keep my khakies ON.

Who needs the gym, when you can just live in Italy ;)

*In fact, the other day it occurred to me: what if I'm not getting enough meat? So I ordered meat and potatoes for my next meal and even though it was delicious, I felt sluggish and full in a really dense way and generally kind of crappy after that.

**I know, I LOVE it!

No comments: