Thursday, November 20, 2008

Oh Bother…

When I woke up after 12 (!) the next afternoon, all I can think is, “Oh bother.” Something is definitely off with my sleep and it’s affecting my motivation. I think perhaps in reality, I’m ready to be home. I’m ready to see familiar faces. I’m ready to…sit on a couch and watch a movie. I know I only have a few days left here in Italy and I really ought to enjoy them….but something in me is just ready to come home.

Nevertheless, I set about trying to visit Capri. I consult the timetable but since it is off-season, the ferry is so infrequent, I’d hardly have the chance to enjoy the island before the sun set. Thus I resolve to go tomorrow and hang around Sorrento instead.

As you can imagine, this being my third? fourth? day in Sorrento, it yields very little in the way of adventures. I walk around, I mope because none of the stores are open (it’s during the dead zone) and berate myself for not getting up earlier.

I try to make the best of it by listening to some Britney Spears on my ipod while I walk around town, pretending that I too am famous with an entourage doing choreographed steps behind me and that everyone wants to be me, but this only servers to perk me up for a little while. Eventually, I’m Jonesin’ for some company.

Unfortunately there is not much to be done about it tonight, so I resolve to email my new friend from Positano to see if he wants to hang out tomorrow and I spend the evening with David Copperfield instead.

The only real thing worth mentioning about the evening is that when I went back to Franco’s for dinner (I had missed two nights! How did that happen??) I met not only some other Rick Steves’ travelers (they were doing his recommended 3 week tour) but I a also met two gentlemen from Russia. They were in Italy for a work event, but doing some traveling on their own. They were actually the department head and a student teacher of laser technology at their university.

After briefly chatting, they invited me to sit with them during their meal and share their wine. When I told them I was from Washington, the department head said he had only been to a small town in Washington, perhaps I had heard of it: Bellingham. Hahahahhahah! Yes, I’ve heard of it ☺ Just when you’re feeling the world is so big and too much to contemplate, you’re reminded of what a small place it truly can be.

No comments: