Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Takin’ It Easy

The next day I decide to wander around town and get a feel for Sorrento during the day. I try to scout out a place for my breakfast, but the decision seems overwhelming and I find myself just stopping at a particularly nondescript bar simply because I’m tired. I try to spend a little time with Rick, sketching out my final week, but I lose interest quickly. I just can’t do it. What’s with me?

I try to find the TI, but discover it is closed on Sundays. Hmph. I wander a bit further down and find a spectacular view. Ahh, now this I know what to do with! I sit and enjoy the water for a while, but I am soon restless and heading back to the main square. Along the way I find a park, so I snap a few pictures. But all the while, I’m just becoming more and more exhausted.

I spot an English pub and decide it would be a good place to camp out with my computer for a while, so I order some lunch and some tea and stay put. This suits me well and after a few hours, my mood has definitely improved. I decide to head back to my room to drop off my computer before venturing to dinner.

But by the time I get to my room I’m really not feeling well. And when I walk in, I discover someone else’s stuff is also now in the room. Great – a roommate. Fortunately she’s not here at the moment, so I head to the bathroom to see if I can instigate feeling better. Unfortunately I don’t accomplish anything other than positive self-talk and eventually come back out.

Shortly after I do, my roomie, Patricia comes in. She is from Singapore and speaks excellent English. She too is on a long holiday (seven weeks) and is spending one week in Italy. She’ll be in Sorrento for two nights. We chat for a while and she tells me she is going to check out the Amalfi Coast tomorrow. I internally cringe because I know I should be doing some sight-seeing as well, but I just don’t feel like it. But perhaps I can talk myself into seeing Amalfi tomorrow….

In the mean time, my stomach has relented a bit, and even though I don’t “feel” it, I know I’m hungry. So I tell Patricia bye-for-now and head out for dinner. Before I know it, I’m at the doorstep of last night’s restaurant. Might as well give it another shot.

As soon as I walk in, I’m glad I did. Everyone is surprised to see me again and very excited that I’m back. This time I really do order the gnocchi and my waiter friend brings me TWO toasty, tomoato-y bread things instead of one. Yes, a very good decision. After the meal comes my limoncello again and this time my waiter (Franco) chats with me for about 30 minutes. I learn all about how this is his restaurant, his son runs a wine bar downstairs, he also rents out rooms, and how he loves Rick Steves (“Very good man!!”). His English isn’t perfect, but where it muddles into Italian, I definitely get te gist of it. He asks about where I am staying and why am I traveling alone (this is actually a popular question). When I tell him I might venture to Naples this week, he gets very protective and gives me some very serious warnings about how to be safe while I’m there. I ask him if it is better that I don’t go. No, no – he says, you must see Napoli, just be safe.

After this I know I’ll be eating dinner here every night, how can I not??

3 comments:

Kristen said...

I really like it that Italian strangers are taking care of you on your travels. Kudos to the Italians! They seem so friendly! I can't believe you'll be back here so soon. Love you!

Holly said...

I love Italians (except those two snooty boogers from previous blog of course)! And I've very happy to hear that they, even being strangers, are being protective of you! So precious.

The Terps said...

Reading about the mostly-friendly nature of the Italians almost makes me want to be friendly to Canadians when they're in town. Who am I kidding, I'd rather run the Canadians off the road. They clog up the streets, take my parking spots and make lines longer.