Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Assisi to Orvieto

I’m tempted to stay another day it’s so pleasant in Assisi (and I wouldn’t mind catching more of the view and less of the fog), but I catch word that there is going to be another transportation strike from Sunday night to Monday night. That would mean I would be stuck in Orvieto an additional day. If it weren’t for the fact that the cheapest accommodations there are 30 EU, that would be fine, but at this point in my travels, I’m getting cheap; I know there are quality, inexpensive options out there and I’m aiming to find them. Thus, I will be moving on today.

I have breakfast again in the hostel (which still feels weird) and then set out for town. I had hoped things would be a little clearer – which they are – but not to the point that re-tracing all my steps from the day before is going to yield anything new. So I catch a few, easy to reach glimpses, utilize the free internet for a while, and then head back to the hostel to collect my bags and head for the train.

The UK girls (two on the left and last on the right) had told me that it was a flat walk to the train station if I continued to walk down the hill, away from town (where I had originally walked when I passed the hostel). It would take me about 30 minutes, but it seemed like a considerably better idea than hiking back up that hill with all my bags.

Unfortunately it had taken me a little longer to get back from town than I thought it would, so when I reached the hostel, I only had about 37 minutes until my train. It was going to be a tight connection. But I did my best to high-step it out of there and make good time toward the station. But the road was a bit gravelly and uneven, and I was again struggling with a toppling bag and beginning to berate myself for choosing this option. Yes, the hike would’ve sucked, but I would’ve been on time. (When will I learn?)

But once again, someone comes to my rescue. This time it was a priest (no joke) in a tiny car. He offers to take me to the train station and has my bag in the trunk before I can even protest. It’s too far to walk, he tells me. Oh, I see….We chat a little, and he is friendly enough but we’re there in about 3 minutes. (I’m definitely on time.) I say good-bye and grab a quick bite to eat before I board the train. It’s funny, accepting rides from strangers is starting to feel normal now…

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

do they give you rides becuz you clearly are a tourist or they nice to each other as well. How is your Italian doing in those situations?

Love you......

check came today and i will deposit tomorrow.

The Norris Clan said...

It is starting to sound like you are becoming really comfortable in Italy. This could be good... could be bad. I love that your mode of emergency transportation is strangers! You can honestly say you hitchhiked through Europe. Yes!

On another note... you really must stop posting 8 posts in a day... I get caught up one day, and the next I am 8 behind! YOU! Missing you...

Anne Marie said...

Good question Dad. I think it's because I am a tourist (dragging my bag and looking pathetic and all), but when in need, Italians seem pretty helpful in general.

I try to use my Italian in those scenarios...but again, everyone speaks English. I guess "full immersion" is a bit of a pipe dream...

Anne Marie said...

I know Karyn - I'm sorry! I'm trying like mad to catch y'all up to real time though. I predict one more big batch and then we'll be back-in-the-game!!