Sunday, November 16, 2008

Roma Pass – Part 2: Roman Forum and More

After I was done grieving for the Colosseum, I made my way past the Arch of Constantine, toward Palatine Hill and the Roman Forum. Again, I was able to bypass the line thanks to the Roma Pass, only this time, I couldn’t find the dang audio guide booth anywhere. All I saw was a sign that said Palatine Hill to the left and Roman Forum to the right. Since I had a self-guided tour of Roman Forum in my hot, little hand, I decided to head that way first.

If you don’t know what the Roman Forum is, I’ll tell you right now: it’s rubble. It quite literally is the few stones, pillars, arches and remnants of buildings that represent the very center of the heart of original Rome. The short story? Lots of history, lots of rubble, lots of tour guides (would’ve been nice to have one of those…). The self-guided tour was not too bad, but certainly left me wanting a bit more. In general though, the Forum made a similar impression on me that the Colosseum did: all that decay…it’s just too bad!

Near the end of my self-guided tour though, I was running on fumes. The sun, as well as being so emotionally invested in what I was seeing, was simply taking it out of me. I needed to eat. But is that what I did? (All together now…) No. No I did not. I decided it would be better to “push through” and just see Palatine Hill while I was at it. I was already in here, couldn’t get out, blah, blah, blah (one of these days I’m going to have to find myself a man who can curb this need-to-persevere-through-the-hunger thing I do – it’s so stupid and I’m totally blind to it in the moment).

So I wander up the hill (and I mean wander – I have no apparent direction, I don’t know where I’m going or what I’m supposed to be seeing…) and check out some stuff. But with no audio guide and no RS guide, this is basically how my internal monologue goes:

“Oh. Look at that. It’s falling down too. Huh. I bet that was something cool. I wonder what it was. I should take a picture of that. But that requires getting the camera out and I don’t feel like it. I’m tired. This looks old too. I wonder what “Palatine Hill” is even all about. I bet Rick knows. I should ask him. Nah. I’ll do it later. Neat, a column. Where am I? Am I there yet? How do I get out of here? I’ll follow these people. Ooo! There’s a water closet – I’ll go over there...”

Yeah. Didn’t get much out of the Palatine Hill (which is, most obviously, my own fault on several counts.) If you find yourself in the neighborhood: get the audio guide and start there, before the Forum. It’s the way to go, I promise. (This pic to the right was nearly only pic I took of Palatine Hill...)

I finally feed myself (good grief) and then (because I can) I take the metro one stop down the line to avoid a hill I would otherwise have to walk. (I love free stuff!) I’m now heading for St. Peter in Chains church.

2 comments:

Andi said...

Anne Marie - do they have bars in Italy...or something portably that you can take with you places just in case the hunger hits you at a bad time? That way you could get a little boost of energy to at least get to where you need to get to without konking. Give it whirl...
Do they even have grochery stores in Italy? or just little fresh markets?

Anne Marie said...

Don't know about energy bars, but probably. They have grocery stores...but they're very different than what we have at home. They have fruit places and meat places and cheese places....

Not sure where they find things like that. Good call about having a snack in my pocket though; gotta work on that when I'm home. :)