Sunday, November 9, 2008

New Olive Oil

While in Cortona I also had the opportunity to try this year’s local olive oil. If you’ve read Under The Tuscan Sun, then you know all about how it’s made right here on the hill and is supposedly excellent. When my waiter offered it to me, I was quick to accept: I had a whole basket of bread in front of me I was dying to test it on.

I was surprised when I poured it onto my plate to find that it was green. But I guess that makes sense…since it’s new?? Anyway, I mopped some up with my bread and my first impression was that it was very…raw, or unrefined. It definitely had a significant bite to it I wasn’t used to. I can’t say that I liked it right off; but never one to give up, I persevered. The more I tried, the more I actually liked it. I discovered it almost had a…peppery taste to it. In the end, I quite liked it and before I knew it, I was out of bread. Final analysis: hearty and flavorful with a spicy bite.

No comments: