Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Dinner in Sorrento

When I arrived in Sorrento and got off the train, I was so relieved I hadn’t been mugged (Naples has a terrible reputation and I had to switch trains from the main line to a small commuter) that probably any town would have looked like gold to me. But I stand by my original analysis: Sorrento is a clear winner.

From the train station I walked through town, taking in the zillion picturesque shops along the main drag, until I found the hostel. Technically this place calls itself a hostel, but when I walked in, it was more like a 4-star hotel. The glass door slid open to reveal a marble-tiled reception area complete with plush couches and a suit-wearing concierge. “Uhh, do you have a bed available for tonight?”

A few moments later I was standing in my new, tiny room complete with its own bathroom and a list of the spa treatments in my hand. My 20EU had really gone a long way! The bed was a bunk bed, but, at least for tonight, I had the luxury of the room to myself. So I settled in, made my bed, and directed my steps back toward town. It had been a long train ride and even though my stomach wasn’t 100% yet, I knew I needed to eat.

I set my steps directly toward the first non-splurge food listing Rick had. When I find it, I know I’m in the right place. A short, slender, fatherly-type man greets me immediately and lets me choose a table. As soon as I’m seated, he brings me bread, olive oil, vinegar, and balsamic vinegar. I’m in the mood for gnocchi, but when I see seafood risotto on the menu, I order it on an impulse instead. I throw in a fresh salad of tomatoes as well and eagerly await my food.

I keep myself more than occupied with my bread and cute, old man brings me a fat slice of soft, toasted bread with minced tomatoes and garlic hot on top. Mmm! Soon my food comes out and I dig in. Everything is delicious and my enjoyment of it is hindered only by my observation of a table of two Italian gals not far away.

Part way through my meal, I notice that one is speaking in a lowish voice, while the other is laughing and laughing and all the while they are stealing looks at me. Even though I don’t know what she’s saying, it’s clear they’re laughing at me. I feel extremely self-conscious, but I don’t know what I could possibly be doing that would solicit such malicious attention, so I try to ignore them. But at one point I look up and they’re both looking intently right at me. So I stop and look back. It is almost to the point that I’m about to say, “What is your problem?” and walk over there, ready to start a cat-fight, but they finally look away.

Needless to say I was a little uneasy for the rest of my meal, but I tried to simply ignore them. I was in Italy with a great meal in front of me and I wasn’t going to let two stupid girls ruin that (especially because I had NO idea why they would be so interested in me). Eventually they finish their meal and leave and I’m so relieved I can actually feel my body relax at the lack of their presence. But I too am essentially finished with my meal and before long I request the bill. When it comes, it is served to me along with a small portion of limoncello – a lemon liquor that is a favorite in Italy and made right here in Sorrento.

Being as this was my first taste ever, I was quite excited. I took a sip and as I held it on my tongue, I was surprised to find it quite sweet: delicious indeed! But then I let it roll to the back of my mouth to swallow and – yow! Boy is it ever sour! The experience could not be any more authentically lemon. In fact, it is such a thorough demonstration of flavor, I felt as though I could taste the peel on my breath as I exhaled.

On the whole I’m pleased both with dinner and my first limoncello and tell my waiter as much as I make my way to the door. Despite the mean girls, it’s been a good first night in Sorrento.

2 comments:

Andi said...

I have noticed a trend that when you eat at places, the waiters bring you things to eat/drink either with your bill or before your bill. Is this a common thing for Italian restaurants for everyone OR do they do this only for Americans, OR only the cute American women who dine alone OR only if they have something that is special from their region. AND do they charge you?
Secondly...I don't know if you know the song...but Sugarland sings one called "Mean Girls." The net of it is: There are some mean girls out there who will hate you no matter what...too cute, not cute enough, smart, not smart enough, etc. She insists on not listening to them and move on...because they will Always been there. Keep that in mind the next time you get scoffed at by some mean girls. Oh and because your father imbedded this in my head: never assume...we NEVER know why anybody does anything until they tell us.
Love you and am so proud of you!

Anne Marie said...

I think it's a common thing for Italian restaurants/cute girls traveling solo.

Italians are a very friendly people (and when I say Italians, I mean the men). The dads are always looking after you, the boys are always chasing you...it's great. The mom types are kind enough, but honestly, I've met so few women my age...it's hard to tell (although, really, what incentive do they have to talk to strangers there age? None, really.)

And it's true; I guess I don't KNOW those girls were being mean to me, so it's best to shrug if off. But still...can be hard to ignore!