Friday, November 7, 2008

Siena - A Day of Successes

I was scheduled to leave the next morning and despite the rain catastrophe (or perhaps because of it) I wasn't quite ready to go. However, the following day was Sunday and nearly all the bus service to/from Siena shuts down, and since I'm starting to run low on time...the idea of staying until Monday wasn't exactly appealing either. So I packed up, checked out, left my bags at the desk and headed for the bus stop. I figured I'd at least spend the morning in Siena and then catch an afternoon bus out of town.

At the bus stop I met an Australian gal named Tanya who was spending 6 MONTHS! in Europe (kind of dwarfs my puny 2 months...) She was in between school and her PhD, taking some time off. Pretty cool. After a while though, we notice the bus still hasn't come, so I check the schedule again, and even though it says it comes on Saturdays, the small, electronic read-out doesn't show that it's coming. Hmmm. So I confirm with the guy at the hostel and sure enough, it's not coming. We have to go to a different bus stop and catch a different line. So we head to the stop together, ride into town, and then part ways.

For me, first stop on the list: Jolly Café...only where the heck was it? When I found it I had been truly wandering and now that I'm acquainted with the city...I had NO idea where it was. Fortunately I had the forethought to take a picture of it for the blog, so I whip out my camera for any clues. Sure enough you can read "Pinoteca" in the pic and this was a specific part of town. I head in that direction and find it immediately. Just think Emmy, if we hadn't visited the Jolly Roger in Portland, I never would've taken that pic, and never found it again - so thanks cuz!!

From there I head directly to the TI for some assistance with my itinerary. The first thing out of the girl's mouth is, "It's festivi," (which means Sunday or holiday). I say, "But tomorrow is festivi..." She confirms this and then it dawns on me: All Saint's Day. Crap - that means it's like 2 Sundays back-to-back. Guess I'm not leaving today. She shows me the TWO options for leaving tomorrow (EARLY and LATE), but recommends I wait until Monday. Hmmm - gonna have to think about that one.

Second item of business: I humbly show her my still soaked, piece-of-crap-made-in-China-staining-all-my-stuff-black purse and ask wher I can replace it at a reasonable price. "Another like that?" she asks, somewhat dubiously. "NO!" I say, "No, something better, like a messanger bag." This, of course, does not translate. So we enlist the help of an English guy and then she understands and is quite excited to tell me where to shop (girls are so funny - I love that this transcends culture).

I head out, excited to see what I'll find and VERY anxious to dump my old bag (it was so wet, I had to carry it like it was a poopy diaper: all waded up and away from my body). This, obviously, sucked. But I wasn't going to make the mistake of buying something shoddy again. As I'm on my way to the first recommendation, I spy a messanger bag at a little stand. I pull over to investigate and indeed it has great potential: lots of pockets, good, quality zippers, water-proof inner lining...good, good! I ask the price and it's only 12 EU! There are two sizes, but I opt for the bigger one (more room for souveniers on the way home), plus it's army/olive green and I love that (and goes perf with the non-hooded hoodie you got me Andi - which I wear daily, btw). I buy it and head straight for the nearest café to make the transfer (along the way I realize, success breeds confidence...and an appetite for more success. Suddenly I wanted to do some major shopping and buy anything and everythinng I thought anyone I might know would like and/or enjoy).

The new bag so perfectly suits my needs, I am practically giddy over my purchase. In my good mood, I decide it's actually a good thing I have this extra day in Siena and even though it will suck, I'm going to get up at the crack and take the one, early bus to Volterra (a hill town) tomorrow morning.

This frees me to do whatever I want for the rest of the day. I peruse the touristy options, but still nothing looks good. So I decide to head back to my favorite internet place, to get a quick bite for a light lunch, and (since it's NOT raining) to tackle the long walk back to the hostel (because I must now check in again).

After I accomplish all this, I'm too tuckered to walk back into town, so I take the bus back and after a quick stop at the bus ticket office, I head straight for the bar where I had last night enjoyed a tea and (eventually) a pizza. (When I can, I'm all about repeat patronage.) Fortunately at the ticket office, I learn there IS an afternoon bus - however, I'll have to change buses in some other tiny town AND wait 4 hours. Fine by me! I buy my ticket, collect my schedule and go to the bar.

When I walk in, the head waiter guy from the night before immediately recognizes me and I wish I could say, "Yes - it's me again!" but I don't know how, so I settle for an enthusiastic "Ciao!" I order my vanilla tea again (a flavor I am happy to report they have everywhere here; I love Italy!) and as he prepares it, asks me my name and how long I'm here, etc. I tell him I am leaving tomorrow, but that I have very much enjoyed Siena.

I take my tea to a good people-watching perch and scratch out several of my "reflective" blogs. I'm so enjoying the tea and the ambiance (and the romanticism of writing while in a bar in Italy) that I stay until dinner time. The bar hosts a kind of tapas buffet and I have a feeling if I buy a drink, the eats are free. So I ask my new friend, "Quanto costa?" and he tells me it's free - would I like a drink? :) Of course!! I order vino rosso and load up my tiny plate. Such a cool deal; I'm really going to miss these when I come home (stupid America).

I continue my writing while nibbling (also so I don't mow down all my food and return 5 seconds later like the little piggy that I am) and spend probably close to an hour eating, writing, people watching, sipping...It's all quite good. Soon though it's time for my bus (this time I am sure WHEN and WHERE it is), so I find my friend and ask for the bill. "You are leaving?" he says, "Why?" I laugh at this and say, "I have to catch my bus..." He nods and accepts my answer and then says, "These are...free times for you...I hope you have enjoy Siena." I'm so taken back by the generosity that I gush my thanks in Italian in every way I know how (which isn't much). I wish I could hug him, but he's on one side of the bar and I'm on the other. So I settle for a hearty wave and head out. I head to the bus stop with a spring in my step; it's amazing how far just a little kindness will go.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, it's just now occuring to me that your posts are no longer "real-time". I fogot about your little post embargo. I was starting to wonder if you were having two days for every one we have here in Stupid America.

Maybe I'm being a little selfish (likely) but I preferred it when you would post something the day after it happened. I'm really confused about where you are right now.

BTW, I looked at the graphs again, and I think I enjoyed them more the second time. I'm picturing you making those, giggling to yourself. It's makes me smile.

Anne Marie said...

Well if it makes you feel any better, I'm trying my darnedest to catch up to "real time"...I liked it better when I posted right after something happened too!

It's tough living under a daily writing deadline!! But I aim to please ;)

(And I expect to see those graphs on your fridge when I get home...)

Andi said...

Woohoo! I knew you would love the non-hoodie, hoodie! I LOVED it and wanted it for me, so I thought to myself: "yes, yes...a great gift for Poux!"
I have a light jacket in a similar color...I too discovered that it goes well with just about everything. So I am happy that you found a messenger bag that goes well with it. Boo with hand held purses - except the seatbelt purse you eyed at the Buffalo Exchange for me...I do love it and all it's sassy greenness!

Holly said...

That sounds like an awesome day! And what a sweet waiter! Siena sounds like a very nice, open and slow town, all in good ways of course.