Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Last Day in Italy: Part 2

So, after I spiffed myself all up and whipped up a better mood, I actually felt pretty great.  I was going to have gnocchi for dinner, I was going to hang out with my cute waiter, I'd had 8 great weeks in Italy...who wouldn't want to be me?


I made my way back to the bus station (a wee bit humbly) and bought two tickets: one for the way to dinner and one for the ride home.  No way was I risking a ride without a ticket again (despite the extreme unlikeliness of running into the "bus police" again in the same night).  I put my ipod in my ears to keep my mind focused on the fun night ahead of me and NOT on my earlier humiliation.  

Plus, to be honest, I was a little nervous about meeting Romeo again.  What if he thought I was stupid?  What if he laughed at me when he saw that I had really come back?  What if he saw that I was dressed up and thought I was trying too hard or expecting something he wasn't? What if he didn't really want to go out with me, he just thought I was coming back for dinner?  Eke!  

I don't know why, but I was on the verge of freaking out a little bit.  I'm not really sure what that was about (I mean, after tonight, I'm probably never going to see this guy again - or at least, I don't have to if I don't want to), so what's the big deal?  So I took a deep breath, concentrated on exuding confidence, and let Rihanna work her magic in my ears.  

It was nearly 10pm and I was starving, but the Rolling Stones (Dr. Dre remix) of Miss You was in my ears, so I slowly walked to the beat toward my destination, letting my confidence build as I went.  Ultimately, it doesn't matter what this boy thinks of me; I'm excited to eat what I know will be a good dinner; and hopefully, I'll have a good time tonight.  I can handle that.  Besides, it's like Mick Jagger says, "Boys* will come and go; they're just like street cars and I been standin' here too long."  As part of this Italian adventure, this boy is merely a street car - what am I so worried about?? 

As the song finished, I approached the restaurant doors.  Romeo was outside (on a smoke break - his one downfall, I'm afraid).  I gave him a European kiss on each cheek as a hello and went in to sit down.  Yeah, this was going to be no problem.  

I took my time enjoying my gnocchi and wine (which this time was not little potato dumplings, but little turned pasta shells: interesting).  Romeo wasn't off until 1am anyway (assuming we were going out; he hadn't said anything, so neither did I), so I had some time to kill.  When I finished my food, I ordered more wine and just sat enjoying the ambiance.  

At around midnight, a guy named Lucca (a regular I had met the night before) came in, so I moved to the bar to chat it up with him while I waited for 1:00 to roll around.  We had some good conversation (he spoke excellent English) and before I knew it, Romeo was telling me he just had a few more things to do before we could go: 15 minutes.  Oh!  Excellent!  I am leaving with you - sweet! 

*Mick says girls, but you get the idea.

No comments: