Monday, November 3, 2008

The First Day is the Toughest

As I'm closing my 5th week in Italy, I'm finally noticing a pattern in my feelings and perceptions of any given city - and it's all tied into success.

No matter how much Rick Steves prepares me, it's inevitable that I feel at least a little lost/confused/naive when I first arrive in a city I've never been to before. I know I'm going to make mistakes, get lost, and spend the day constantly retracing my steps.

But for me, if I find I have at least some success with my navigation on the SECOND day, then I usually relax and really enjoy the new city and the new experiences it is waiting to bestow upon me. It gives me a sense of confidence and accomplishment that allows me the freedom to explore further, widen my comfort zone, and simply SEE MORE than what I saw in the same place yesterday. Without those small victories on day 2, I'm trapped in a prison of helplessness and naivety.

Plus it helps when you have a good map. :)

No comments: