Tuesday, November 11, 2008

An Unexpected Cultural Experience

After wandering around a bit, I find the café Rick was talking about, but it’s closed (rats!). So I locate the TI, pick up a map, and ask about other internet places. I go on a scavenger hunt to find them, but they too are closed (boo!). After the last one, I decide to get something warm to drink and sit down with my thoughts for a bit so I can get my bearings on some kind of an agenda while I’m here.

I bravely order a cappuccino (it being so late in the day) and I bust out Rick, but…turns out I’m not in the mood to plan. So I scrounge out a scrap of paper and start to pen a blog. Not long after, a group of about 10 people come into the café (which is tiny, btw. There are only two tables inside...one of which I am occupying), order a bunch of beers and after asking my permission, make themselves right at home at my table and the table next to me. Now I am literally sitting in the middle of a circle of sight-seeing Austrians.

Even though they are all speaking German to me, they have friendly faces and I like them already. The gentleman immediately to my left speaks a little English and asks me where I am from. Each tid-bit of information he gets is shared with the group and devoured like a scrap of meat among hungry dogs. They are very interested in me. One of the women points to my hand, wanting to know if I am married. I hold up both of my naked ring fingers and indicate: no – I am single. Another woman points to what I am writing: is love letter? (Don’t ask me how she knows this and no other English.) Hahah, no – I’m writing about my travels to everyone back home.

At this point their conversation carries on, but I can no longer follow it, so I return to my writing. Soon though, the last members of their group are finally seated and one of them does speak English. So we exchange the usual travelers pleasantries and I learn they are here for the 60th birthday of the gentleman to my left. (Italy seems a popular place for milestone birthdays.) As soon as we exhaust the remedial topics, he immediately asks me what I think about the president. It takes a moment for this to register (as we now have a new president and I don’t have a pre-selected answer on hand) and I’m not really sure how to answer. For one – I’m not sure what I think yet*. And for two – I know NOTHING about Austrian politics, so even if I had an actual, concrete opinion, I wouldn’t know how to present it to an Austrian. So I dodge the question. I say, “Well, we’ve certainly made history, but it’s only been 2 days – let’s see what he does, eh?” And to my great relief, he seems satisfied with this answer.

The others at the table have no idea what we’re talking about so one of the women butts in again to ask him to ask me how old I am. 27, I proudly reply, and this creates a tizzy of action and lots of words from the woman. I ask my new friend to translate and he summaries with, she thought you were much younger. (That much I can see for myself…) Next she becomes distressed about the tiny piece of paper I am writing on. Clearly this is not suitable. She scrounges around and comes up with a blank sheet of 8.5 x 11 paper (what the…??) She is adamant about me using this. I am kind of partial to my scraps of paper, but I accept it anyway and tell her I promise to use it (which I do in a few days time).

Soon they are on their way, waving enthusiastic good-byes, and wishing me well. It’s back to just me at the little table and I can’t help but chuckle at the whole experience. (Andi, I felt a little bit like I did the first time I met all the Aunties at your engagement party…slightly overwhelmed, but flattered by all the keen interest.)

*Keep in mind that since I was out of the country, I wasn't able to vote. Thus I hadn't put a lot of thought into this year's election; doesn't mean I am necessarily pro or con Obama. I just hadn't made a decision yet when I left and then didn't vote, so I didn't have to (make a decision that is). I know - I cringe just thinking about that, let alone admitting it to blog readers everywhere, but it's the truth, so I'll own up to it.

1 comment:

Andi said...

You know...my aunts still ask about you. This Thanksgiving gathering, they will receive an earfull about your adventures!
It makes me happy that you met these friendly Austrians...again, I feel good about God putting nice people in your path to enrich your experience and to give my little
pursuader some verbal relief.