Friday, November 14, 2008

Fog, Fog Go Away…

(**I don't have my camera with me, so I can't post any pics, but I'll update the post - and let you know when I do - as soon as I can. So keep your eyes peeled!**)

Guess what followed me to Orvieto? Yup, you got it: the fog. Unfortunately due to upcoming limited transportation issues and an executive decision regarding budget, today is Orvieto day no matter what.

I can’t even see the top of the church, let alone appreciate the art that is supposedly up there (PIC!) so I figure, why not do a little shopping? Known for their ceramics, perhaps something will catch my eye…

I spend a long time pouring through each shop and of course fall in love with an expensive pattern that very closely resembles the flour and sugar canisters I already own. I figure, why not make a set? Besides, I adore the pasta plate/bowls that I already have (functionally) but they are chipped and cracked and lookin’ nasty. This could be a great solution!

But in the end I can’t pull the trigger. They’re already expensive and I’d definitely have to ship them home…it’s just too much. I consider buying just one piece, like perhaps a carafe, but it’s still 25 or 35 EU, depending on the size…and they aren’t that big. No can do.

By the time I’m done checking out all the ceramics, I’m basically on the RS self-guided walk, so I finish it up and land near the internet café. I stop in to actually use the internet (which refuses to work on my laptop – booo!) and grab a quick bite to eat. From there I walk to the edge of town to do a second RS “view walk”. Fortunately it has cleared up (and warmed up) a bit and I get to see some pretty awesome views. Lots of lush greens and farm land – very cool. (PICS!)

Since the fog seems to be cooperating over on this side of town, I head back to the basilica to test my luck. Sure enough, it’s mostly cleared and I’m finally able to really check it out. Lots of great sculpture on the outside (the kind where there are tons of tiny little scenes to decipher) and I put my bible stories knowledge to the test. Eventually I head inside for a peak and discover that what is supposed to be the most interesting part costs 5 EU. I’m not in the mood to pay for stuff, so I skip it. Instead I catch the mini-bus toward the other end of town and walk through a castle and absorb some more fantastic views (cause those are free, and I like that). (PICS!)

After that I’m satisfied that I’ve seen all I want to see of Orvieto (one day was actually plenty) and I grab my stuff from the hotel and take the funicular (such a weird word) back to the train station. I’m finally heading back to Rome!

No comments: