Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Amalfi Coast...

The next day I do indeed talk myself into visiting the Amalfi Coast...unfortunately I'm so tired, I'm hardly able to get myself out the door by 11:30. Nevertheless, I make my way to the bus station and learn that I've missed the bus by about 17 minutes. Rats. The next bus isn't until 12:30, so I have no choice but to grab a quick snack (tomato and mozzarella sandwich) and wait.

As I'm eating my sandwich in the sun, enjoying the relaxed nature of my day, I notice an uncomfortable pain in my gut. Hmm, this is new...I figure it can't really be good for what I hear is a white-knuckled ride of the coast but...not much to be done about it. I keep eating my sandwich and just try to ignore it.

But by 12:20 it becomes apparent to me that I simply cannot ignore this new pain and I MUST make haste to the nearest restroom. With teeth and cheeks clenches (both sets) I go straight for the train station. I ask the gentleman at the newspaper stand where the bathroom is and he tells me it's upstairs. I RUN up the stairs but don't see it. I ask the waitress in the cafĂ© and she tells me it is on the other side of the platform. Dilemma: don't have a ticket; NEED to use the restroom. In the end, I sneak through the turnstyle and hustle to the bathroom. I have to pay 50¢, but don't care in the least. I walk/run to the stall, close the door and take a look at my throne. Oh my gosh, I'm having an actual nightmare. I am on the verge of very literally (prepare yourselves) crapping my pants and not only is there no toilet seat, there is also no toilet paper. However, I very quickly rationalize that it's either deal with no toilet paper in a moment, or deal with some nasty-ass pants right now. Obviously, I choose the former.

After a few horrifying moments (when I can again think clearly) it occurs to me that I have kleenex in my bag (thank you Diana!!). That seriously could have been the worst day of my life, but fortunately, it's now okay.

After my nightmare-come-true experience, I have to run back through the station to make my bus on time. When I get there the driver is chatting outside the bus with some kids - whew! I'm good to go (in all senses of the word).

The drive there (as promised by Rick Steves and my friend Erin from Cinque Terre round 1) is absoultely wonderful. The first stop is Positano, but I'm so enjoying the scenary, I decide to stay on the bus until Amalfi Town (town #2). Total ride time is about 90 minutes and when we pull into Amalfi, it's not a moment too soon. Again I make a bee-line for the toilet. There's another 50¢ down the pipes, but I DON'T CARE (this time they have toilet paper and soap at the sink, woo hoo!)

After acquainting myself with the facilites, I wander around town. Unfortunately, I did not think about the fact that my arrival time (about 2:00) was during the heart of the dead-zone. Only a few shops are open. But truthfully, I wasn't in a shopping mode anyway, and I'm content to wander. I check the schedule for the next bus, make YET ANOTHER trip to the bathroom (I've never had troubles like this before; to all of you out there with chronic butt troubles, you officially have my heartfelt sympathies), and get back on the bus. I'm slightly nervous because my last round between trips to the loo was less than an hour, but I figure I can make it by sheer force of will, if nothing else.

The trip home was BEAUTIFUL (and uneventful, if you know what I mean). Check out some of the views:


Once I'm home, I decide to hit up Franco's son's wine bar for dinner. He has a deal where you get tastes of 5 wines plus snacks. If he's anything like his father, I'm sure I'll be well fed. I arrive not long after 6:00 and I'm his only customer. Luigi talks my ear off and indeed keeps the food coming at a steady rate (including not only a quiché, but a plate of meats and cheeses, a salad, bread AND a full plate of pasta). By the time I leave, I'm not only a wee-bit snockered, but stuffed to the rafters. Perhaps all this good food will fix my, ahem, digestive issues....

5 comments:

The Terps said...

I do not envy your cheek troubles. That totally reminds me of the troubles I had when we flew home from Belize after the Vann's wedding. I've never used so many different restrooms in so many different locations in my life. I used the airplane restroom more times in one trip than in all my other flights combined. What a horrible experience. Lesson learned - never buy food from a street vender in a third world country. I paid for it for two weeks. Fortunately for me, all the restrooms had toilets, were relatively clean and had TP.

Anne Marie said...

Hahah - that's right!!

But when you went to use the airline toilet again, did the attendant (whom you had already paid once) give you a look like, "What are YOU doing here?" to which you have to find a way to communicate with your face, "Look lady, I'm having butt-troubles, just let me in..."??

Holly said...

Any toilet is better than the Terps backyard. Butt troubles are the worst.

Anne Marie said...

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHA - I'd forgotten ALL about that!! Ohhh, so funny! (I'm sorry Holly, that was sucky!)

Believe me you: I sent up PLENTY of thankful prayers for all my toilets that day.

Holly said...

Amen. :)