Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Back in the Sight-Seeing Saddle Again

The next morning I was surprised to see the two disrespectful late-comers were a grown woman and grandmother. What the….? 1.) Why are they staying in the cheapest room of a YOUTH hostel and 2.) You’d think they’d know better. Pshaw! Whatever, I’m over it – I’ve got Florence and Siena calling to me today!

I make my regular morning pit-stop to plan my day and find sustenance, but instead of planning, I end up scratching out notes for a cover letter to Rick Steves about why he should hire me. I figure, why not funnel two newly discovered passions into the possibility of a job? I’ve already done a wee bit of research and know that he’s not currently hiring, but perhaps if I can catch his eye with a truly sensational cover letter….

But that’s another story. After I’m done making my notes, I look up and notice that the rain has found its way to Florence. Dangitall! This rain is just going to follow me all the way south for my remaining three weeks isn’t it? I smile as I picture myself in a few hours again darting from covered location to covered location with my baggage in tow. (Sigh.) What will be will be…

But fortunately, it’s not the same rain I had in Lucca and it quickly lets up. As soon as I see a break in the weather, I’m on my way and I knock out two more of the sights on my list (Medici Chapels – which were fine, but not worth the 7 EU I had to pay because of the “special exhibit” and the Bargello – a collection of sculpture, which I really did enjoy but was crushed to learn that Donatello’s David had just begun restoration the day before and was unavailable for viewing! If I had only – or if the first time – augh. Boooo!)

After that I was ready to go. I wasn’t in the mood to possibly be disappointed with a third sight in a day and was ready for some change. Siena sounded good. So I made my way back to the hostel, picked up my bags (after a quick internet check – it was free there; so hard to pass up!!) and ventured to the bus station. Even though the two cities are connected by train, Rick says the bus is faster. Okay Rick – I trust you; to the bus I go!

4 comments:

Andi said...

So...while running through all these rain storms, is your bag on your back or in tow? I am dying to know how it is working out for you. Do they still have wheels?

Holly said...

I think you would make a great asset to Rick Steve's group! In your interview, you should direct him to your blog!

Anne Marie said...

Bag is definitely in tow! I only put it on my back when I HAVE to (read: lots of stairs or climbing involved). Still has the wheels and is otherwise working out GREAT!

We made a solid pick - yay for REI!

Anne Marie said...

Holly - you read my mind ;)